Original 'Glee' Characters to Graduate in May 2012
By AOL TV Editors Posted Jun 20th 2011 08:40AM
Speaking on Ryan Seacrest's radio show on Friday, Murphy said that the upcoming Season 3 will be senior year for the original cast.
"I don't think of it in terms of eliminating or replacing. Because I think the thing about this cast is people love them and they are incredibly talented. They've left sort of an indelible mark," he said.
"The thing that I wanted to do and the cast wanted to do, we didn't want to have a show where they were in high school for eight years. We really wanted it to be true to that experience. We thought it would be really cool if we were true to the timeline."
Murphy revealed that Matthew Morrison and Jane Lynch will stay with the show beyond Season 3, with their characters Will Schuester and Sue Sylvester acting as "the male and female lynchpins of the series."
The empty spots will be filled by newbies who'll be seeded into the show throughout next season -- casting calls have already gone out for an "Adele-meets-Susan-Boyle" type among others -- including the winner of spin-off competition show 'The Glee Project,' who'll get a seven-episode story arc in the fall.
Summing up the revolving door policy at 'Glee,' Murphy said "I think the fun thing about the show is it's a celebration of youth and talent and I think that just like with the original cast, I think finding those young unknown people and giving them an opportunity to break into the business and become stars is a really fun and exciting thing and is the spirit of the series."
'Glee' Season 3 is due to premiere in September on Fox.
See more at AOL TV.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Suicide Squad Cast in Costume Revealed, Minus The Joker: Freaky Photo!
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Cast, Harrison Ford Featured on Vanity Fair Cover: Photo
- Matt Lauer Reveals Most Nerve-Racking Interview, Style Icon, and More in Vogue's 73 Questions Video: Watch!
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' scores big at box office
- Jamie Foxx criticized for his version of national anthem
- Princess Diana's pal says she would have loved a granddaughter
- NeNe Leakes Completely Loses Her Cool During RHOA Reunion When Kenya Moore Drops a Shocking Allegation
- Suicide Squad First Look: Cara Delevingne, Will Smith and the Entire Cast Look Unrecognizable in Costume
- Kelly Clarkson Has the "Best Day Ever" With Baby River Rose and a Few Kangaroos at the Australian Zoo