Has Tracy Morgan 'Gone Overboard' With the Apologies?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 20th 2011 08:13AM
Ever since Tracy Morgan shocked fans with a homophobic rant during a stand-up show in Nashville earlier this month, the '30 Rock' star has been trying to make amends. Really trying to make amends.
He has partnered with the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) in its efforts to combat anti-gay bullying, visited homeless gay youth, and even met with Elke Kennedy, whose 20-year-old son Sean was killed in 2007 in an anti-gay hate crime, leading some in the joke-making community to wonder when is enough enough?
"Tracy Morgan's gone overboard," 'The View' and HLN host Joy Behar said on Twitter last week. "First he apologized and did a PSA. Now he supports gay marriage. What's next, a quiet weekend with Barney Frank?"
And Joy isn't alone in her thinking. "Tracy has been highjacked by the gay movement. He did a stupid thing and now has ended up as the poster child for gay rights. This isn't a position anyone ever thought he would end up in," one NBC insider tells me unwilling to go on the record fearing that GLAAD would target him.
And don't expect Tracy's apology-athon to end any time soon. Today the comedian is traveling to Tennessee with GLAAD to issue what a member calls a "big statement."
What do you think of Tracy's efforts? Should his apology be accepted or should he continue to prove himself everyday? Tune in today at 10:00 p.m. to 'The Joy Behar Show' on HLN, where I will be discussing all the hottest topics in entertainment with Joy.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Dresses North in Skunk Costume; See How the Today Show Celebrated Halloween: Top 5 Stories
- Heidi Klum Dresses as a Butterfly for Annual Halloween Party -- See Her Crazy Costume Here!
- Kim Kardashian and North West Dress as Anna Wintour, Andre Leon Talley -- Plus, See Her Other Halloween Costumes!
- Tara Reid’s Skeletal Figure Scares Fans BEFORE She Puts On Halloween Costume!
- Demi Moore ‘Driving Mila Nuts,’ Wants Her To ‘Stay Away’ From Baby Wyatt ? Or Else!
- Judge Rules Amanda Bynes To Stay Under Conservatorship Until 2015, As Actress No-Show In Court
- Amanda Bynes to remain under her mom's care
- 30 years later, ?CHiPs' cast reunites
- Hello Kitty celebrates 40th anniversary
- Happy Halloween! Check Out Kim Kardashian, Lea Michele, Justin Bieber and More Stars in Costume!
- Melanie Griffith on Who She'd Like to Date Next and Why She'll Never Watch Daughter Dakota Johnson in Fifty Shades of Grey
- Chris Brown Talks All Things Rihanna: The Assault, Their Relationship, Drake and More—Watch Now!