Has Tracy Morgan 'Gone Overboard' With the Apologies?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 20th 2011 08:13AM
Ever since Tracy Morgan shocked fans with a homophobic rant during a stand-up show in Nashville earlier this month, the '30 Rock' star has been trying to make amends. Really trying to make amends.
He has partnered with the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) in its efforts to combat anti-gay bullying, visited homeless gay youth, and even met with Elke Kennedy, whose 20-year-old son Sean was killed in 2007 in an anti-gay hate crime, leading some in the joke-making community to wonder when is enough enough?
"Tracy Morgan's gone overboard," 'The View' and HLN host Joy Behar said on Twitter last week. "First he apologized and did a PSA. Now he supports gay marriage. What's next, a quiet weekend with Barney Frank?"
And Joy isn't alone in her thinking. "Tracy has been highjacked by the gay movement. He did a stupid thing and now has ended up as the poster child for gay rights. This isn't a position anyone ever thought he would end up in," one NBC insider tells me unwilling to go on the record fearing that GLAAD would target him.
And don't expect Tracy's apology-athon to end any time soon. Today the comedian is traveling to Tennessee with GLAAD to issue what a member calls a "big statement."
What do you think of Tracy's efforts? Should his apology be accepted or should he continue to prove himself everyday? Tune in today at 10:00 p.m. to 'The Joy Behar Show' on HLN, where I will be discussing all the hottest topics in entertainment with Joy.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ben Affleck Has Been Dating Nanny Christine Ouzounian
- Law and Order: SVU Baby Fever! Peter Scanavino Expecting a Baby, Joins Ice T and Coco With Happy News
- Kim Kardashian Channels Audrey Hepburn, Marie Antoinette in Bizarre New Energy Drink Ad
- Chelsea Handler skewers Caitlyn Jenner, former sidekick
- First trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi thriller ‘13 Hours' hits the web
- Some Bill Cosby accusers say comedian used Playboy connections to facilitate alleged bad behavior
- Nicole Richie Looks Back On Her Fashion Choices, Explains Her Many Different Looks—Watch Now!
- Josh Gad Embraces Luke Evans After Wrapping Walt Disney's Live-Action Beauty and the Beast—See the Picture!
- Pucker Up! It's National Lipstick Day—See Stars' Favorite Pout Hues!