Jonathan Demme: Hollywood Is Out of Control
By Jo Piazza Posted Jun 21st 2011 10:00AM
"Film making exists now in is revenue void. To do these high style films now it costs so much to make them and I am not comfortable spending a lot of money on a movie any more," Demme said during a chat at this month's Aruba Film Festival. "The money is needed in other places. I love the stuff you see on YouTube made by 12 year-olds."
The straw (or check rather) that broke the camel's back for the director was 2004's $80 million 'The Manchurian Candidate' starring Denzel Washington, Liev Schreiber and Meryl Streep which brought in only $65 million at the domestic box office.
"I made a version of 'Manchurian Candidate' that cost a fortune. It was just so much money and you think something like 'Napoleon Dynamite' made for under $100,000 and you're like f--k, I want to do that," Demme said. "The effort going into making these huge budget Hollywood movies wasn't for me. After 'The Manchurian Candidate' I had to rest up and get re-acquainted with myself."
If Demme had his way he would democratize how films get made inside and out of Hollywood.
"I want to take all of my footage of New Orleans and put it on the Internet and allow other people to make their own documentary using my footage," he said.
Demme's current project is an animated adaption of Dave Eggers 'Zeitoun' which he is trying to develop without an outsized budget.
"We tried getting development financing and we came to understand we need a much richer idea on paper about what it will look like so I am back into writing the script and hope to have it finished by the end of the summer," the director said.
► Follow @JoPiazza on Twitter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Val Kilmer reportedly rushed to hospital for throat tumor
- Terry Bradshaw roundly mocked at hilarious pre- super bowl roast
- Casey Kasem's children urge elder abuse prosecution against Kasem's widow
- CBS Orders Drama From Bryan Cranston and David Shore, James Patterson Adaptation
- ABC Orders Johnny Knoxville Comedy, Six More Pilots
- ABC Adds Dramas From 'Straight Outta Compton' Writer, 'E.R.' Vet to Pilot Slate
- The Avengers Face Ultron in This New 'Age of Ultron' TV Spot
- Check Out This Terrifying New Dinosaur From 'Jurassic World'
- Tatiana Maslany Nabs Lead Role in 'Star Wars' Spinoff: Rumor Alert!