Jonathan Demme: Hollywood Is Out of Control
By Jo Piazza Posted Jun 21st 2011 10:00AM
"Film making exists now in is revenue void. To do these high style films now it costs so much to make them and I am not comfortable spending a lot of money on a movie any more," Demme said during a chat at this month's Aruba Film Festival. "The money is needed in other places. I love the stuff you see on YouTube made by 12 year-olds."
The straw (or check rather) that broke the camel's back for the director was 2004's $80 million 'The Manchurian Candidate' starring Denzel Washington, Liev Schreiber and Meryl Streep which brought in only $65 million at the domestic box office.
"I made a version of 'Manchurian Candidate' that cost a fortune. It was just so much money and you think something like 'Napoleon Dynamite' made for under $100,000 and you're like f--k, I want to do that," Demme said. "The effort going into making these huge budget Hollywood movies wasn't for me. After 'The Manchurian Candidate' I had to rest up and get re-acquainted with myself."
If Demme had his way he would democratize how films get made inside and out of Hollywood.
"I want to take all of my footage of New Orleans and put it on the Internet and allow other people to make their own documentary using my footage," he said.
Demme's current project is an animated adaption of Dave Eggers 'Zeitoun' which he is trying to develop without an outsized budget.
"We tried getting development financing and we came to understand we need a much richer idea on paper about what it will look like so I am back into writing the script and hope to have it finished by the end of the summer," the director said.
► Follow @JoPiazza on Twitter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' tops Labor Day, summer box office
- FBI, Apple begin inquiries into nude celebrity photo leaks
- Carrie Underwood announces she is pregnant with her first child
- Weinstein Co. Takes 'Roald Dahl's Esio Trot'? for U.S.
- Busan to Open With Taiwanese Drama 'Paradise in Service'
- David Hasselhoff Joins Judging Panel for Abu Dhabi Short Film Competition
- 100 things that apparently happened, as told by ?The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story'
- Patrick Duffy talks Lynda Carter crush, reason he'd kill Gabe Kaplan
- 12 lessons we learned from 2014's summer movies
- Summer Box Office 2014: What Went Wrong?
- The Cast of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Does the Baby Groot Dance (VIDEO)
- What Makes a Great TV Series Finale?