Steve-O: Johnny Knoxville and 'Jackass' Crew Saved My Life
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 21st 2011 05:45PM
Hours after a fatal car crash left 'Jackass' star Ryan Dunn dead, his close friend Steve-O took to Twitter, saying, "I love Ryan Dunn and I'm really going to miss him." Just days before the horrid and fiery wreck, which left another person dead, Steve-O revealed to me that he is lucky to be alive after years of addiction.
"Johnny Knoxville and a bunch of our 'Jackass' crew staged an intervention and they forcibly locked me up in a psychiatric ward," Steve O told me. "When I got to the hospital I was so belligerent that they changed my status to 2 weeks. So the 3 days went to 2 weeks and with that kind of time on my hands in a psych ward I eventually came to the conclusion that I really needed to make a change."
Steve-O had suffered with alcohol and drug additions through out his life until Johnny stepped in on March 10th of 2008, a date Steve will never forget ... the date he finally got sober. Admitting that if it weren't for Johnny he would be dead, Steve-O told me about how dark and lonely his days would be when he was high.
"For me it stopped being a gathering," he said. "I was sitting alone and watching people walk around my apartment who were never actually there. It all turns on you man. It got really dark and the reason why I needed to make a change is that I truthfully turned into this nasty sh*thead. Just a douche bag."
In our chat -- which you can watch on my HDNet show 'Naughty But Nice' this Saturday -- Steve-O described some stories he tells in his new book, 'Professional Idiot: A Memoir,' including doing things to his friends that he's not proud of.
"I've done a lot of drugs with Lindsay (Lohan), but everybody knows that. Lindsay was over at my house one time and she was in my bathroom probably selfishly not sharing drugs," Steve O revealed. "But while she was in there, I pulled out my camera and I got this crazy footage. And some time passed and later I go in my bathroom and I find that she left her wallet, so I sent her this text and I said Lindsay, you left your wallet in my bathroom. This was when she was in rehab and she told me to bring it to her. So I meet her in the driveway of this Wonderland Rehab that she's in and I make her sign a release form of the footage that I have."
And one crazy story about doing mounds of drugs with former heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson.
"[Me and] Mike Tyson locked ourselves in the bathroom in this big mansion ... so here I am with Mike Tyson locked in this bathroom in this big mansion just doing piles of cocaine and I looked at him and said 'you know Mike, I'm not a racist guy, but I would like to say I consider myself a [n-word]. And we had a big discussion over this pile of cocaine. My point was that if we could take the color out of this word then we would really diffuse it as a weapon. Mike Tyson said the definition of that word is the people who use it and I thought that was very insightful."
Check back for more on my chat with Steve-O later in the week and watch the full interview on my HDNet show on Saturday at 1:00 pm ET.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Movie News -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Top News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Chelsea Clinton Hints She's Open to Running for Political Office
- Jenny McCarthy Engaged; Tori Spelling Talks Dean McDermott Affair: Top Stories
- Andre Johnson, Rapper, Severs Penis, Jumps Off Building, Survives
- Robin Roberts: Doctor Said I Had 2 Years To Live
- Honey Boo Boo's Anna ?Chickadee’ Shannon Moves Out Of Mama June's House, Wants More Kids With Fiance Michael Cardwell
- 'X-Men' director Bryan Singer accused of sexually abusing 17-year-old boy in 1999
- AC/DC guitarist Malcolm Young taking break from group due to illness
- Rapper cuts off penis in suicide attempt, reattach fails, report says
- Miley Cyrus Will "Remain Hospitalized" for Severe Allergic Reaction to Medication—Exclusive Update!
- Arrow Introduces a Classic DC Villain, American Idol's New Frontrunner Emerges and More OMG TV Moments
- Sofía Vergara Was "Nervous" Filming Threesome in Fading Gigolo, Got Pointers From Co-Star Sharon Stone