U2 Are Infighting About Glastonbury Appearance
By Spinner Editors Posted Jun 23rd 2011 01:30AM
Thus, as odd as it may seem to say it, they might actually be a little unprepared for their headlining slot at Glastonbury this coming Friday night.
Additionally, U2 have gotten used to letting the Claw -- their massive, custom-made, biggest-of-its-kind stadium set -- help them entertain audiences, with its double stages, state-of-the-art light rig and the largest video screen to ever tour with a band.
"[Glastonbury] is about a band being able to get up and play the music and there aren't bells and whistles, necessarily," drummer Larry Mullen Jr. tells BBC Radio 1. "That's a challenge for us and we've got something to prove."
To that end, the band has been fervently discussing, dissecting, constructing -- and deconstructing -- the setlist. "Everybody seems to have a slightly different opinion, which is not good news," admits Mullen. Some members want the Glastonbury show to be a hit parade, beginning with the band's anthemic "Where the Streets Have No Name." Others are arguing for a setlist which slowly builds anticipation, and yet others think a dusted-off old rarity should kick things off. "There are an awful lot of opinions," mulls Mullen.
Of course, U2 are right to sweat it. The band had to cancel their planned headlining slot at the festival last year, due to emergency back surgery that singer Bono had to undergo, and, no doubt about it, all eyes will be on them, come Friday. Let's hope they've figured out what to play, by then.
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bob Costas didn't get pink eye from bad Botox, NBC insists
- Aaron Carter: Hilary Duff was the love of my life
- Who knew? Surprising celebrity facts
- ?Reign' react: The royal wedding
- ?American Idol' 2014 results: The Top 12
- Miley Cyrus calls out Katy Perry on Twitter over concert kissing controversy
- Lindsay Lohan Gets Emotional Talking About Her Relationship with Oprah
- Extra Scoop: Aaron Carter Still Pines for Hilary Duff
- Spider-Man and Batkid Head to Disneyland
- Andrew Garfield and Batkid's Oscars Segment Drama, Khloe Kardashian Buys Justin Bieber's House: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Prince Harry Launches Sporting Event, Invictus Games, for Injured Servicemen and Women
- Martha Stewart Gives Sex Advice, Says She Had a Prison Name in Reddit AMA