Supreme Court Rules Against Anna Nicole Smith Estate
By Marc Schneider Posted Jun 24th 2011 10:01AM
The five-member conservative wing of the court ruled against Smith's estate, headed by Larry Birkhead, who fathered a daughter with the model, and attorney Howard K. Stern.
In writing the decision, Chief Justice John Roberts said that "although the bankruptcy court had the statutory authority to enter judgment on Vickie's counterclaim, it lacked the constitutional authority to do so."
The family of E. Pierce Marshall, the late son of J. Howard Marshall, cheered the decision.
"J. Howard's wishes were always perfectly clear: He gave Anna Nicole Smith approximately $8 million in gifts during his lifetime, and those gifts were all that he intended to give her," said Eric Brunstad, the Marshalls' lawyer.
The saga goes like this:
- A wheelchair-bound Marshall met Smith (Vickie Lynn Smith at the time) in the early 1990s at a Houston strip club, where she worked. He became instantly smitten with her and began buying her homes, cars and horses. They wed in June 1994, against his family's wishes. She famously left him in tears immediately after their "I Do's" to fly off to a modeling job and they reportedly never lived together.
- Marshall died 13 months later, on August 4, 1995. His will left his estate to his son, with no mention of his third wife, who had in that short period of time become on internationally ogled Playboy and Guess model.
- Smith challenged the will, claiming Marshall promised her $300 million, but a Houston court decided he was mentally fit when he filed his updated will giving his wife nothing.
- The model moved to California and later filed for bankruptcy. A bankruptcy judge awarded her $475 million from Marshall's estate, but that amount was reduced in 2002 to $89 million by a federal judge.
- Then, an appeals court in San Francisco threw that ruling out, saying a bankruptcy judge could not rule on that kind of case (probate).
In his decision with the majority, Roberts bluntly acknowledged how confusing, and ultimately tragic, the case was.
This "suit has, in course of time, become so complicated, that ... no two ... lawyers can talk about it for five minutes, without coming to a total disagreement as to all the premises. Innumerable children have been born into the cause; innumerable young people have married into it."
He also said that sadly, both Smith and E. Pierce Marshall "have died out of it."
The AP: "The younger Marshall died in 2006 and Smith died of a drug overdose in 2007. Smith's daughter, Dannielynn Birkhead, was named Smith's heir in 2008. The girl's father, Larry Birkhead, and attorney Howard K. Stern are in charge of the estate."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Brought a Shirtless Man on a Leash to Her Gotham Audition
- Kim Kardashian Leaves Little to the Imagination in Skintight Red Skirt, Grey Bodysuit for a Trip to the Office, Because Why Not?
- Tori Spelling Hospitalized For Possible Pneumonia, Reportedly Undergoes Ebola-Like Quarantine
- Topless Pics Of Brooke Burke Hit New York City Gallery
- Tori Spelling Hospitalized Again After Severe Coughing Fit, Fever Cause Her To Nearly Pass Out
- Kris Jenner's Hollywood Domination Plans Unveiled ? She Wants To Create A ?Talent Management Empire'!
- 'Real Housewives' star Brandi Glanville reportedly dating 23-year-old
- Nicki Minaj doesn't understand the fuss over 'Anaconda' video
- Country music group Little Big Town put in top-notch effort on new album