Celebrities Push to Pass Marriage Equality Bill in New York
It certainly has been a groundbreaking yet nail biting week for marriage equality in New York as same-sex marriage advocates have come within one Republican Senate vote to pass the marriage equality bill -- although the vote still has yet to take place.
But the hesitation to bring the bill to a vote -- on behalf of Republicans -- is not for the lack of trying and persuasion from our favorite LGBT supporting celebrities.
"I'd sure love to get married," Neil Patrick Harris tweeted Friday evening. "Please, NY Senate, vote in favor of marriage equality today. My family would really appreciate it."
The LGBT community's resident mother monster, Lady Gaga, has also been fervently tweeting about the potential passing of the bill and urging her fans to call their local senators and ask them to vote yes to legalize gay marriage.
"I am so proud to be a New Yorker! One step closer to equality and toward the legalization of Gay Marriage in America. Full Equality. Unity," she tweeted. "NY State needs us, and the time for change is now," she continued to tweet.
Julianne Moore similarly urged her followers to contact their senate as did Lance Bass who hosted a phone bank alongside Russel Simmons last week, calling local legislators to voice their support for gay marriage.
Perez Hilton showed his frustration with the senate tweeting, "Separate but equal is NOT equal!"
Whichever way the gavel swings, this important step toward marriage equality and the support of the Hollywood community will serve as another rung on the ladder toward total equality.
- Filed under:
- Politics -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Twitter -
- Lady Gaga -
- Neil Patrick Harris -
- Julianne Moore
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Keeping Up With the Kardashians Recap: Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Kicks Scott Disick Out of the House
- Game of Thrones Recap: Jon Snow Is Enraged, Sansa Stark Is Engaged in "High Sparrow"
- Real Housewives of Atlanta Reunion: Phaedra Parks is Still Married to Apollo Nida "For the Children"
- 'Furious 7' box office champ for fourth straight weekend
- 'Good Fellas' actors spill secrets at 25th anniversary screening
- Kim's ex, Kris Humphries says sorry for Bruce Jenner tweet
- 2015 Daytime Emmy Awards: Ellen DeGeneres, Kelly Ripa, Betty White, Bobby Flay and More Big Winners
- Jay Z Is "Determined" to Defend Tidal App, Makes Promise That "We Are Here for the Long Haul"
- The Good Wife's Emotional Punch to the Gut: Kalinda, Alicia and a Letter