Rihanna Facing Another 'S&M' Lawsuit
According to RadarOnline.com, Paulus alleges that Rihanna identically replicated his series of photographs, called 'Paperworld,' in the racy video without his permission.
The scene in question depicts Rihanna, dressed in a large, fluffy gown against a wall, and is covered in plastic and surrounded by large black 'X' marks. Paulus claims one of his photographs is extremely similar in both concept and execution.
"For legitimate reasons the use of copying Paulus' work over a million times requires an agreement that protects the copyright and the achievements and creations of our client which has never been given by our client, neither to the artist Rihanna nor to her label Universal Music," Paulus' lawyer said in a statement. "According to this, the copyright laws of our client has been infringed and the worldwide million-wise exploitation of the video 'S&M' is unlawful."
Paulus also released a statement of his own regarding Rihanna and the lawsuit.
"Why a worldwide celebrity is not able to afford a creative director, who creates individual concepts and stagings, is incomprehensible for me," Paulus said. "To create new things within the creative cosmos, you can only expect this to come from a real genius, there is no doubt about that."
He adds that the singer and her label should be embarrassed that they copied another artist's work.
"...Every other creative professional should realize how supremely embarrassing it is to copy the work of colleagues from the artistic world and then to be praised for it," he said.
This is the second 'S&M' lawsuit for Rihanna and Universal. Photographer David LaChapelle sued over the video in February, claiming it copied the "composition, total concept, feel, tone, mood, theme, colors, props, settings, decors, wardrobe and lighting" of his work.
MORE ABOUT Rihanna
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Rihanna Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Benedict Cumberbatch: I'm sorry for saying 'colored'
- Report: Emile Hirsch fights with female film exec
- Report: NBC News renews Savannah Guthrie's ?Today' contract
- ?Water for Elephants' will be adapted into a musical
- Al Pacino names an 8th-grade teacher, Marlon Brando among his acting influences
- Patrick Dempsey Hints at Reason He and Wife Are Divorcing
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen's Super Sexy Photo Shoot? Wow, Just Wow
- Fan Asks Kanye to Sign a Pic of Kim from Her Wedding to Kris! See His Reaction
- Jennifer Lawrence Chats With Adele at Restaurant, and Harry Styles Was There Too: Details!
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Blunt Bangs in New Karl Lagerfeld Spring Campaign: See Behind-the-Scenes Photos
- Lupita Nyong'o Single Again, Flirty With Jared Leto at SAG Awards 2015 Afterparty: Details