Pink, Russell Simmons, Lady Gaga Celebrate a New Gay Marriage Law
By Christine Fenno Posted Jun 25th 2011 12:37PM
Pink gave an all-caps jump for joy, shouting, "CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! ABOUT TIME!"
Neil Patrick Harris tweeted, "It PASSED! Marriage equality in NY!! Yes!! Progress!! Thank you everyone who worked so hard on this!! A historic night!" His elated partner, David Burtka, announced, "I've already proposed, he said yes! Thank god!" (He soon added a clarification: "Neil and I have been wearing rings for years. We have been engaged for a while. It did not just happen.")
Russell Simmons, who gave counsel to Tracy Morgan during the comic's recent homophobia controversy, logged on to tweet, "I applaud the work of our state gov't and all of the advocates on tonight's vote to legalize same sex marriage." He added, "The rights u take for granted are only valid if u fight to give those same rights to others."
Lady Gaga said, "I can't stop crying. We did it kids."
New Yorkers Alec Baldwin and Rosie O'Donnell joined the online praise; he tweeted, "Congrats....to Cynthia Nixon for all of her hard work on behalf of marriage equality" while O'Donnell wrote, "Happy gays r here again!!!!!"
LeAnn Rimes celebrated with the tweet, "Hell yeah NY! I have gotten several requests from friends....for a wedding singer!!!"
Joy Behar chimed in with, "Could not be more thrilled that gay marriage finally passed in NY. Congrats!!!"
Christina Applegate tweeted, "I am giddy! Congratulations New Yorkers! This is a proud moment! the way it should be! Love is love! humans are humans!"
'Cougar Town' star Busy Phillips said, "I truly believe that OUR children & THIER children will look back on this time in disbelief that same-sex couples were not allowed to wed."
And with the caption "Not more, not less, just #EQUALITY," Ricky Martin posted a popular photo that was going viral overnight, of the Empire State Building illuminated in a rainbow of colors.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
MORE ABOUT P!nk
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about P!nk Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' sneak peek: Is there a mole in the squad?
- Elle MacPherson gave up drugs and alcohol to stay fit at 50
- Why 'Boy Meets World' star Maitland Ward sexes up red carpets
- Angelina Jolie Goes Bombshell Blonde While Filming First Scenes With Brad Pitt Since 2005
- Jim Carrey Tests David Letterman for Ebola: "Have You Ever Kissed a Monkey?"
- Renee Zellweger Steps Out in Brown Wig on Mississippi Movie Set Following Plastic Surgery Rumors: See the Photos
- Stars Shine at amfAR LA Inspiration Gala
- Gwyneth Paltrow Dazzles In Tux Suit With Tom Ford, Rihanna At L.A. amfAR Gala
- Anna's New Family: Sex Abuse Victim Called ?Strongest Wife In The World' By Sweet Hubby Michael