Is 'Idol' Thinking About Life Without Jennifer Lopez?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 28th 2011 06:30PM
Insiders believe that Jennifer Lopez's admission to the BBC that she's "on the fence" about returning to 'American Idol' next season is nothing more than a ploy for a pay hike ... However, 'Idol' is already discussing possible replacements should they not be able to entice J.Lo to return.
"Right now the star of 'American Idol' is Steven Tyler," an insider source tells me. "Everyone thought after Simon announced he was leaving that [Lopez] would fill the void. How wrong were they? It's all about Steven, who's already signed on for season 11.
Jennifer, who currently earns a reported $12 million for her one-year deal with 'Idol' -- a touch below the $35 mil Simon earned -- needs to ask herself how much her contribution to the show is really worth.
"'Idol' has resurrected her much-stalled music career," one music exec tells me, referring to 'On the Floor,' the singer's first radio hit in a while. "Likewise, 'Idol' didn't fall apart when Simon left and Jennifer has to get some of the credit for that. But let's also remember the show didn't increase in ratings and that is also thanks to J.Lo."
Jennifer told the BBC: "I loved 'Idol,' but I have a lot of other things happening, and it's going to come down to me making a choice of what I want to do for the next year ... We're not really at the breaking point of 'You have to make a decision right now!'"
Be careful, Jennifer, I'm being told the names Shania Twain and Shakira are already being mentioned in hopes of bringing in viewers!
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
MORE ABOUT Jennifer Lopez
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Jennifer Lopez Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell hospitalized in Los Angeles
- ?New Girl' renewed for season 5 by Fox
- Trevor Noah's tweets called 'anti-Semitic,' 'sexist;' Comedy Central stands behind new 'Daily Show' host
- Report: Legendary Singer Joni Mitchell Rushed to Hospital After 911 Call
- Exclusive! Joe Giudice Describes Teresa's Life in Prison and More
- Go Gold! Get Rumer Willis' ?Dancing with the Stars' Sexy Samba Beauty Look!
- The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Reunion Recap: Lisa Vanderpump, Brandi Glanville Butt Heads in Part 1
- Behati Prinsloo Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction, Flashes Her Bare Butt ? See the Photo!
- Tracy Morgan Still Using Cane to Walk Almost Year After Tragic Car Accident ? See the Recent Pic