Selena Gomez Stands Up for Single-Parent Families
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 28th 2011 08:55AM
When Selena Gomez's birth parents divorced when she was just five years old, her working mother raised her as an only child. And while the Texas-born beauty has enjoyed much success at a very young age, she admits she didn't have an easy childhood but has come to terms with her parents' divorce.
"I just think it's really common nowadays, that you grow up in a single-parent household. I grew up like that, and I was fine. My dad was still in my life, so it was good," Selena told me when I sat down with her after seeing 'Monte Carlo,' her fun new movie. "I love that there's that message in the movie. Being able to be married into a family, which is so common, and having people you don't know like stepsisters and stepbrothers, and getting past the awkward stage. I think it was nice that we touched on that."
The film follows a young lady (Selena) who gets a stepsister (Leighton Meester) who couldn't be more different from her. Leighton, of 'Gossip Girl' fame, told me about growing up in her own blended family, and how she dropped the "step" and considers all of her siblings her brothers and sisters.
Leighton said that the scenario in 'Monte Carlo' is realistic and that blending a family isn't without it's problems..
"It is sort of weird at first, I guess," she said. "I think the movie touches on that a bit. It's the same thing as meeting somebody on a movie, either they're cool or they're not."
For the record, these two ladies loved working together and tell me they were best mates after seven minutes. The film 'Monte Carlo,' which has a wonderful 'Cinderella' feel about it, opens this Friday.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Good News -
- Movie News -
- Music News -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Celebrity Summer -
MORE ABOUT Selena Gomez
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Selena Gomez Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged with 1983 murder of girlfriend
- James Bond author sorry for saying Idris Elba 'too street' for 007
- Taylor Swift fan arrested for storming stage at concert
- Extra Scoop: Jill Duggar Reflects on 'Sad' Month in New Blog Post
- Julia Roberts Steps Out with Husband and Kids to Support Surfer Kelly Slater
- 'Life in Pieces' Actor James Brolin Talks Barbra Streisand 'Gypsy' Remake, Weighs-In on Hillary & Donald
- Melissa Rivers Scattered Mom Joan Rivers' Ashes While Vacationing in Wyoming
- Sandra Bullock's New Boyfriend, Bryan Randall, Is the "Nicest" — and Hottest! — Guy Ever: See His Modeling Pics!
- Khloe Kardashian Looks Skinnier Than Ever in New Waist Training Mirror Selfie