Selena Gomez Stands Up for Single-Parent Families
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 28th 2011 08:55AM
When Selena Gomez's birth parents divorced when she was just five years old, her working mother raised her as an only child. And while the Texas-born beauty has enjoyed much success at a very young age, she admits she didn't have an easy childhood but has come to terms with her parents' divorce.
"I just think it's really common nowadays, that you grow up in a single-parent household. I grew up like that, and I was fine. My dad was still in my life, so it was good," Selena told me when I sat down with her after seeing 'Monte Carlo,' her fun new movie. "I love that there's that message in the movie. Being able to be married into a family, which is so common, and having people you don't know like stepsisters and stepbrothers, and getting past the awkward stage. I think it was nice that we touched on that."
The film follows a young lady (Selena) who gets a stepsister (Leighton Meester) who couldn't be more different from her. Leighton, of 'Gossip Girl' fame, told me about growing up in her own blended family, and how she dropped the "step" and considers all of her siblings her brothers and sisters.
Leighton said that the scenario in 'Monte Carlo' is realistic and that blending a family isn't without it's problems..
"It is sort of weird at first, I guess," she said. "I think the movie touches on that a bit. It's the same thing as meeting somebody on a movie, either they're cool or they're not."
For the record, these two ladies loved working together and tell me they were best mates after seven minutes. The film 'Monte Carlo,' which has a wonderful 'Cinderella' feel about it, opens this Friday.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Good News -
- Movie News -
- Music News -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Celebrity Summer -
MORE ABOUT Selena Gomez
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Selena Gomez Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
FOX 411FEEDMore From Fox News Li
- Now that the ?Report' has ended, reacquaint yourself with the real Colbert
- Mike Myers brought back Dr. Evil on ?Saturday Night Live'
- Gone Too Soon: An Emotional Look Back at the Stars We Lost in 2014
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals Baby Boy's Unusual Name!
- Lance Bass Weds Michael Turchin, and an 'N Sync Member Performs!
- Real Housewives of Atlanta Recap: Demetria McKinney Makes Her Housewives Debut, Apollo Nida Cuddles Phaedra Parks and More
- Sony Plans to Release The Interview After Pulling It: "It Will Be Distributed"
- Tom Brokaw's Cancer Is in Remission: "I Face the New Year With Very Encouraging News"