Chuck Berry Statue Approved, Despite Opposition
By Spinner Editors Posted Jun 29th 2011 03:30AM
The statue will soon be a permanent adornment in a public area that acts as a gateway to a row of restaurants, shops and Blueberry Hill -- the revered nightclub where Berry still performs to this day.
The opposition wanted to hold Berry, age 84, accountable for crimes that he paid for long ago. While he was convicted of armed robbery as a teenager -- and tax evasion in 1979 -- the issue that they had with the rock 'n' roll legend (and forefather) mostly centered around a 1962 conviction in which Berry was found guilty of violating the Mann Act.
The law, which forbids "transporting a woman across state lines for immoral behavior," generally exists to protect against indentured slavery and prostitution. But, in Berry's case, it was enacted after allegations that he had sexual relations with a young Native American female whom he discovered after playing a show in Texas in 1959 and then later hired to work at his nightclub, Berry's Club Bandstand -- which was, indeed, across state lines. The girl was fired and then, later, arrested on an unrelated prostitution charge which eventually led to Berry's arrest. He was fined $5,000 and served one and a half years on a three-year prison sentence.
Reuters reports that the statue will be installed later this week, with Berry himself presiding over the dedication ceremony on July 29.
Berry has three songs permanently etched in the 'Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs That Shaped Rock 'n' Roll' list -- 'Johnny B. Goode,' 'Maybelline,' and 'Rock 'n' Roll Music.' Those songs, along with countless others that were merely influential to music history, tower a lot taller than the eight feet of the statue.
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Star Trek' does $70.6M on opening weekend, but falls short of studio's expectations
- Taylor Swift shines at Billboard Music Awards
- Twilight time for Stewart, Pattinson?
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- Justin Bieber BOOED While Accepting Award
- OUCH: Singer Jumps, Lands On Fan's Neck
- PHOTOS: Stars Shine On The 2013 Billboard Music Awards Red Carpet
- ?All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' season finale: And the winner is?
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- ?Game of Thrones': OK Cupid reveals which characters are most compatible
- Photos! At the 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- David Beckham Cries at Last Soccer Game
- Kanye West on ?SNL': Performs ?New Slaves,' ?Black Skinhead'
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson Break Up; Kanye West Debuts New Music on Saturday Night Live: Top Stories From the Weekend
- Kesha Nearly Flashes Butt at Billboard Music Awards: Picture
- Jennifer Nettles Shows Off Slim, Stunning Post-Baby Body at Billboard Music Awards