Break Over, Elijah Wood Gets to Work on 'Wilfred,' 'The Hobbit'
By Nicki Gostin Posted Jun 30th 2011 05:30PM
Elijah Wood stars in a rather unusual new comedy on FX called 'Wilfred' (airs Thursdays), and will be reprising his most famous role, Frodo Baggins, in the 'Hobbit' movies. Wood who still looks far younger than his 30 years, is excited for both completely different projects and tells PopEater why he played a disappearing act the last year or two. He warns 'Rings' fans that his 'Hobbit' part is minor (Frodo isn't in the book, after all), and tells us how he ended up so grounded despite being in the business of show since he was eight.
So tell me about 'Wilfred.'
It's about a guy named Ryan who I play who is kind of going through a dark period in his life and in the midst of that very dark moment he is introduced to his neighbor's dog who he sees as a man in a cheap dog's suit and everyone else sees as a dog. Initially it's very surreal, he's not sure if he's dreaming and ultimately he realizes he's not, he's got sort of a friend in this character named Wilfred. Wilfred serves as a very questionable guide for Ryan as he tried to get his life back together.
(Laughs) I'd never read anything like it. It was so funny and so bizarre and unique and it was an interesting opportunity to delve into the world of comedy. I auditioned for it. I went through the whole process which was new to me.
You haven't worked a whole lot in the last couple of years.
I took some time off last year, just some time away to do my own thing. Mostly I was in the process at the end of last year of starting a new production company.
And now you're also back in the news because of 'The Hobbit.'
It's a very small piece. Obviously Frodo's not alive during the Hobbit chronology so it's a small piece that was written into the script. It makes sense based on the script they wrote. It's a really fun opportunity to go back, it's kind of an extraordinary thing after so many years to go back to New Zealand and work within the context of Middle Earth with a large group of the same creative team and crew and many of the same cast members. It just feels like a giant family reunion. I'm so excited!
Those movies were so huge. I can't imagine being in the eye of the storm like that.
With 'Lord of the Rings,' it was tempered because it would come out at the end of each year, 2001, 2, 3, so we would go back to New Zealand in late summer for pickups and November, December we would do our press tours. In between I would work on the films. I always felt tempering the insanity of 'Rings' with the work kept the whole thing in balance. Oddly enough as massive as it all became it was still a group of people that had spent that intimate time together in New Zealand. It kind of felt like a weird traveling circus, like a family traveling around the world promoting the film.
We felt isolated there. It felt like the world's largest independent film. It was a massive behemoth but because it was made in New Zealand away from Hollywood it felt like we were in our own world.
You were a kid actor.
I credit how I turned out relatively sane to my mother. I started working when I was eight. My mom made it her job to constantly instill me with a great amount of humility and normalcy outside of work. The two worlds were always separated. She didn't allow me to think I'm any better than anybody else just because of what I did, not accepting privileged behavior.
Your first big break was in a Paula Abdul video. Do you keep in touch?
No, I have seen her since but I haven't kept in contact.
More Q&As From Nicki Gostin: La Toya Jackson, Howie Mandel, Tatum O'Neal and Ann Coulter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Chinese Woman Spends Entire Week at KFC After Getting Dumped By Boyfriend, Says She "Needed Time to Think"
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets
- NBCUniversal settles lawsuit with unpaid interns for $6.4 million
- Utah guards face career-ending penalties over bikini photo shoot
- John Denver receives posthumous star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates Birthday Las Vegas-Style With Kanye West, Family and Friends
- Who Wore it Best? Supernatural's Castiel vs. Constantine's John Constantine
- Neil Patrick Harris Spills His Oscar Prep and Gets Fascinated by Jason Kennedy's Magic Trick—Watch Now!