Missy Elliott Reveals Past of Poverty and Sexual Abuse
By Boombox Editors Posted Jun 30th 2011 08:00PM
In VH1's latest 'Behind the Music' documentary which debuted Wednesday, the highly accomplished and celebrated female rapper, who celebrates her 40th birthday Friday, reveals she grew up in dismal state of poverty in Portsmouth, Virginia. "I remember having mice in the house and my father taking some newspaper and beating me because mice was running on me while I was asleep," she revealed.
Missy's mom Patricia Elliott adds, "We didn't have running water ... We were going in a pot that sat by her bed, because we didn't have a bathroom."
Missy also shared the shocking story of sexual abuse at the hands of her 16-year-old cousin when she was only 8. She recalls, "Each day he wanted me to come to the house after school. It became sexual, which, for me at eight years old, I had no clue what that was, but I knew something was wrong."
"Being molested ... it don't disappear. You remember it as if it was yesterday," Missy adds. The rapper explains the abuse took place over the course of a year, but that she never told anyone at the time.
She also talks about witnessing the abuse of her mother at the hands of her father and her recently revealed Graves' disease diagnosis -- an incurable autoimmune disorder, which Missy had been keeping mum about since 2008.
After three years of silence, Missy publicly disclosed that she was diagnosed with the thyroid disease after experiencing a frightening loss of muscle control and suffering several other debilitating hyperthyroid symptoms, including mood swings and hair loss. Elliott turned to radiation treatment, which has greatly improved her condition, but cannot cure her of the disease.
Get more at The Boombox >>>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Furious 7' box office champ for fourth straight weekend
- 'Good Fellas' actors spill secrets at 25th anniversary screening
- Kim's ex, Kris Humphries says sorry for Bruce Jenner tweet
- No, It's Not 'Fight Club 2': Brad Explains That Nasty Cut
- Justin Bieber Crashed Their Prom!
- Bobby Brown Files for Guardianship Over Bobbi Kristina
- Keeping Up With the Kardashians Recap: Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Kicks Scott Disick Out of the House
- Game of Thrones Recap: Jon Snow Is Enraged, Sansa Stark Is Engaged in "High Sparrow"
- Real Housewives of Atlanta Reunion: Phaedra Parks is Still Married to Apollo Nida "For the Children"