Missy Elliott Reveals Past of Poverty and Sexual Abuse
By Boombox Editors Posted Jun 30th 2011 08:00PM
In VH1's latest 'Behind the Music' documentary which debuted Wednesday, the highly accomplished and celebrated female rapper, who celebrates her 40th birthday Friday, reveals she grew up in dismal state of poverty in Portsmouth, Virginia. "I remember having mice in the house and my father taking some newspaper and beating me because mice was running on me while I was asleep," she revealed.
Missy's mom Patricia Elliott adds, "We didn't have running water ... We were going in a pot that sat by her bed, because we didn't have a bathroom."
Missy also shared the shocking story of sexual abuse at the hands of her 16-year-old cousin when she was only 8. She recalls, "Each day he wanted me to come to the house after school. It became sexual, which, for me at eight years old, I had no clue what that was, but I knew something was wrong."
"Being molested ... it don't disappear. You remember it as if it was yesterday," Missy adds. The rapper explains the abuse took place over the course of a year, but that she never told anyone at the time.
She also talks about witnessing the abuse of her mother at the hands of her father and her recently revealed Graves' disease diagnosis -- an incurable autoimmune disorder, which Missy had been keeping mum about since 2008.
After three years of silence, Missy publicly disclosed that she was diagnosed with the thyroid disease after experiencing a frightening loss of muscle control and suffering several other debilitating hyperthyroid symptoms, including mood swings and hair loss. Elliott turned to radiation treatment, which has greatly improved her condition, but cannot cure her of the disease.
Get more at The Boombox >>>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Diana Douglas, first wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Stars in stripes
- Illinois city condemns Dick Van Dyke's childhood home
- Mariah Carey Spends 4th of July with Her Billionaire Boo
- Rumor Bust! Kim Kardashian Is NOT Getting Plastic Surgery While Pregnant
- Is Scott Disick off the Wagon?
- Hillary Clinton, Ellen DeGeneres Write Sweet Responses to Gay Teen in Humans of New York Post
- Jada Pinkett Smith: Will Smith Has Me "On Lockdown," Knows I Wouldn't Cheat on Him
- Britney Spears Recreates Oops Album Cover With Sons Jayden and Sean in Cute Twitter Photo