Muse Bassist Chris Wolstenholme Quit Booze After 'Puking Up Blood'
By Spinner Editors Posted Jul 1st 2011 01:30AM
In an interview with Q Magazine (via Music Room), Wolstenholme recalls the moment he hit rock bottom "I was actually losing my mind. I had to drink to get out of bed in the morning. It got to the point one Christmas morning where I was actually puking up blood."
Though the musician has been clean and sober since the release of Muse's smash album, 'The Resistance,' he also remembers how his judgment drove him to ridiculous conclusions.
"My rational thought at that time was, 'Oh I won't drink spirits today, I'll just drink beer.' You just don't think properly. You don't really consider that you're killing yourself ... Or even if you do, you get to the point where you don't care about anything anymore."
Wolstenholme's bandmate, singer Matt Bellamy, confessed that he had no idea of the extent of his bassist's drinking, saying "The thing with him is he's such a good musician that his motor skills or something just aren't affected."
"So he would come in and play brilliantly and then we wouldn't see him for a bit," Bellamy told Q. "We'd have a great gig and he'd go off to his room so we wouldn't really know what was going on."
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Man charged in biting attack at Chicago's Lollapalooza music festival that wounded 2 men
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Michelle Duggar on how she and husband Jim Bob keep the flame alive
- HBO exec defends violence, sex scenes in 'Game of Thrones'
- Watch the first 5 minutes of Lifetime's ?Unauthorized Saved by the Bell' movie
- More adult women play video games than teen boys ? will the industry act accordingly?
- Watch Joe Manganiello and the men of ?La Bare' play Never Have I Ever
- It's a Girl for Stacy Keibler!
- Why Is NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson Driving Onto a High School Football Field?
- Watch the First Episode of ?Red Band Society' Now!
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Jessica Simpson's Killer Legs: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Christmas Jammies Family Makes Back-to-School "Baby Got Class" Parody: Watch Now!
- Chris Burke Reflects on Corky Character, Life Goes On, Down Syndrome on Upcoming Oprah: Where Are They Now? Episode