Muse Bassist Chris Wolstenholme Quit Booze After 'Puking Up Blood'
By Spinner Editors Posted Jul 1st 2011 01:30AM
In an interview with Q Magazine (via Music Room), Wolstenholme recalls the moment he hit rock bottom "I was actually losing my mind. I had to drink to get out of bed in the morning. It got to the point one Christmas morning where I was actually puking up blood."
Though the musician has been clean and sober since the release of Muse's smash album, 'The Resistance,' he also remembers how his judgment drove him to ridiculous conclusions.
"My rational thought at that time was, 'Oh I won't drink spirits today, I'll just drink beer.' You just don't think properly. You don't really consider that you're killing yourself ... Or even if you do, you get to the point where you don't care about anything anymore."
Wolstenholme's bandmate, singer Matt Bellamy, confessed that he had no idea of the extent of his bassist's drinking, saying "The thing with him is he's such a good musician that his motor skills or something just aren't affected."
"So he would come in and play brilliantly and then we wouldn't see him for a bit," Bellamy told Q. "We'd have a great gig and he'd go off to his room so we wouldn't really know what was going on."
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- 'Duck Dynasty's' Jep Robertson speaks out on mysterious illness
- PopWatch Confessional: What's the scariest thing you saw as a kid (that wasn't supposed to scare you)?
- From pegacorns to Cheetos: The best celebrity Halloween costumes
- We're not worthy of the best Halloween costumes from ?Today,' ?GMA'
- Holly-ween Pics! Kate Hudson's Sexy Leather Biker Costume and More
- Shock Report: Why Mama June Really Wanted Anna to Join 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo'
- Amanda Bynes Released from Psych Hold, Spotted Alone on Sunset Blvd.
- Andy Cohen Was "Basically Crying" at RHONJ Reunion, "Could Barely Look at" Teresa Giudice
- Taylor Swift Dresses Up as a Pegacorn (A.K.A. a Unicorn With Wings) for Halloween 2014, Making Her Fairy Tale a Reality
- Kim Kardashian Dresses North West in Skunk Costume for Halloween 2014: Photos