Muse Bassist Chris Wolstenholme Quit Booze After 'Puking Up Blood'
By Spinner Editors Posted Jul 1st 2011 01:30AM
In an interview with Q Magazine (via Music Room), Wolstenholme recalls the moment he hit rock bottom "I was actually losing my mind. I had to drink to get out of bed in the morning. It got to the point one Christmas morning where I was actually puking up blood."
Though the musician has been clean and sober since the release of Muse's smash album, 'The Resistance,' he also remembers how his judgment drove him to ridiculous conclusions.
"My rational thought at that time was, 'Oh I won't drink spirits today, I'll just drink beer.' You just don't think properly. You don't really consider that you're killing yourself ... Or even if you do, you get to the point where you don't care about anything anymore."
Wolstenholme's bandmate, singer Matt Bellamy, confessed that he had no idea of the extent of his bassist's drinking, saying "The thing with him is he's such a good musician that his motor skills or something just aren't affected."
"So he would come in and play brilliantly and then we wouldn't see him for a bit," Bellamy told Q. "We'd have a great gig and he'd go off to his room so we wouldn't really know what was going on."
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies at age 82
- 'The Big Bang Theory' recap: More money, more problems
- Taylor Swift slams critics for being sexist
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Let's revisit Larry King's 2 a.m. Twitter rampage
- Designer Oscar de la Renta Dead at 82
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jason Momoa's Super Intense ?GoT' Audition Tape
- ?Fury' Star Shia LaBeouf ?Found God? in a Very Real Way'
- Kris Jenner Clears Up Rumors About Bruce Jenner's Transformation; Monica Lewinsky Was "In Love" With Bill Clinton: Top 5 Stories
- Teresa Giudice Dropped By Crisis Manager Wendy Feldman After Filing Orange Is The New Black Prison Request: Details
- Ryan Phillippe Disses His Own Career: "I've Made 30-Plus Films," "Five of Them Are Good"