Casey Anthony Book Deal: O.J.-Effect Could Sink Any Chance She Had
By Rob Shuter Posted Jul 7th 2011 02:28PM
With news that Casey Anthony will soon be a free woman, any dreams of making millions of dollars off the tragic death of her young daughter, Caylee, through potential book deals looks very unlikely.
"Publishers have a long memory and after the public outcry that led to the canceled publication of the O.J. Simpson book ['If I Did It'], everyone will think twice before offering Casey a deal," one senior book editor tells me.
One of the nation's largest superstore chains, Borders Group Inc., previously said it would donate any profits from the OJ book to charity, and given the public reaction to the Anthony verdict, many believe a book by Casey would be met with similar reaction.
"Even if she decided to tell the whole truth in the book, which she could because she couldn't be tried again because of double jeopardy, who would want to give their hard earned money to her," an independent publisher tells me.
Judith Regan, the would-be publisher of Simpson's book, did not get back to me to comment, but she did say at the time that Simpson approached her with the idea for the book, which reportedly was sold for $3.5 million. Pre-order sales of the OJ book had been strong, but not sensational. 'If I Did It' cracked the top 20 at Amazon.com but at the time that its cancellation was announced, the book had fallen to No. 51.
"Anyone that touches this book is committing career suicide," a writer tells me about potential Casey tell-alls. "Not to mention, how do you go to sleep at night knowing you are making this young woman rich?"
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- When clothes don't cooperate
- Gary Sinise and Joe Mantegna urging Americans to take a moment of appreciation on Memorial Day
- BBC Axes Digital Initiative, Saying It 'Wasted a Huge Amount' of Money
- German Soccer Rules Europe, Can It Conquer the World?
- Cannes: 'Magic Magic' Stars Juno Temple, Michael Cera on Culture Shock in Chile (Video)
- Season Finale Round-Up: Our TV critics on ?The Office,' ?Bates Motel,' ?Doctor Who,' ?Arrow,' ?Nashville' and more
- Mariah Carey swears, has a wardrobe issue on ?Good Morning America' ? VIDEO
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'Now You See Me': Isla Fisher, Mark Ruffalo Celebrate the Magical Film in L.A. (PHOTOS)
- 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO)