Casey Anthony Book Deal: O.J.-Effect Could Sink Any Chance She Had
By Rob Shuter Posted Jul 7th 2011 02:28PM
With news that Casey Anthony will soon be a free woman, any dreams of making millions of dollars off the tragic death of her young daughter, Caylee, through potential book deals looks very unlikely.
"Publishers have a long memory and after the public outcry that led to the canceled publication of the O.J. Simpson book ['If I Did It'], everyone will think twice before offering Casey a deal," one senior book editor tells me.
One of the nation's largest superstore chains, Borders Group Inc., previously said it would donate any profits from the OJ book to charity, and given the public reaction to the Anthony verdict, many believe a book by Casey would be met with similar reaction.
"Even if she decided to tell the whole truth in the book, which she could because she couldn't be tried again because of double jeopardy, who would want to give their hard earned money to her," an independent publisher tells me.
Judith Regan, the would-be publisher of Simpson's book, did not get back to me to comment, but she did say at the time that Simpson approached her with the idea for the book, which reportedly was sold for $3.5 million. Pre-order sales of the OJ book had been strong, but not sensational. 'If I Did It' cracked the top 20 at Amazon.com but at the time that its cancellation was announced, the book had fallen to No. 51.
"Anyone that touches this book is committing career suicide," a writer tells me about potential Casey tell-alls. "Not to mention, how do you go to sleep at night knowing you are making this young woman rich?"
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- That's not me naked!
- Danica Patrick reveals ?secret' country music album at 2013 American Country Awards
- Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line win big at American Country Awards
- FremantleMedia Names Two Ex-Endemol Execs CEOs for Brazil, Spanish-speaking Americas
- Berlin 2014: European Shooting Stars Announced
- ITV Renews Output Deal With Australia's Seven Network
- ?SYTYCD' stars Allison and tWitch got hitched!
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: Taylor Swift wishes
- ?NCIS': How many exes does it take to solve a crime?
- 'Star Wars: Episode VII': Is the Force With Actor Jack O'Connell?
- Tom Hanks Says P.L. Travers Would Absolutely Hate 'Saving Mr. Banks'
- Smaug the Dragon: Five Secrets of 'The Hobbit' Villain