Mar 24th 2011 6:13PMI have traveled across this country and shopped in its supermarkets. I've found no difficulty finding healthy foods in most of them, but I've observed families - overweight parents and their overweight children - cramming three or four shopping carts with junk foods (sugar-filled cereals, cookies, frozen pizzas, potato chips, sodas, prepared cheeseburgers, sodium-laced "skillet meals", mac-&-cheese, etc.). In some of these markets. particularly in the Midwest, I have seen people twenty to thirty years younger than I (I am 70) who are so morbidly obese that they have to ride electric scooters because their legs can't support their weight. I am a gourmet cook (a hobby) and what I cook is by no means a "diet" menu. I do control portions, however. A portion of meat, fowl or fish is the size of my hand (whichis smallish). I serve potatoes (usually boiled or roasted in their skins), rice (boiled with chicken, vegetabel or beef broth and herbed or with spices). I serve fish twice a week. My specialties are Middle-eastern and African cuisines. I do serve beef on occasion, but my primary red meat is lamb. I also serve pork, which is now a light meat. For dessert I usually serve fruit in one form or another. It may be with yougurt, sorbet or even crepes. I weigh 165 lbs. and have no trouble maintaining my weight.
Feb 7th 2011 5:55PMDo we really care?
Oct 27th 2010 4:55PMYou could hang a tarp on Ms. Moore & she'd still look great. I'm not really sold on the dress, but she's a classy lady.
Popeater Hot Topics
- The Leftovers Recap: It's Open Season on the Guilty Remnant
- Is There a Cure for Hep-V on True Blood?
- Botched Recap: Meet the Woman with the Collapsible Breast
- 'Lucy' tops 'Hercules' with $44M at the box office
- Casey Kasem's kids think wife has boyfriend in Montreal; may have dad's body there on ice
- Joan Rivers slams Selena Gomez for ?Pray for Gaza' post
- A Potential Cure on True Blood, A Family Sacrifice on Witches of East End & More OMG TV Moments
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Star Brandi Glanville Launching New Wine, Wants Your Input
- Botched Before and After: Breast Cancer Survivor, Boob Implant Headache and Much More—See the Pics!