Nov 17th 2009 7:20AMI am a public school teacher who has not said the Pledge of Allegiance for over 30 years, for the same reason, along with the disenfranchisement of various groups of people by race or economic status. I am not "against" this country; I love the U.S. and I respect anyone who wants to salute the flag. But the words in the Pledge aren't true, and I believe in speaking truth. There is neither liberty nor justice for all. Too, I don't feel need to worship a piece of fabric. I'm glad I live in a country where I'm allowed to think for myself. The vitriolic comments here make me wonder if I will be able to retain that right in the future.
Popeater Hot Topics
- The Leftovers Recap: It's Open Season on the Guilty Remnant
- Is There a Cure for Hep-V on True Blood?
- Botched Recap: Meet the Woman with the Collapsible Breast
- 'Lucy' tops 'Hercules' with $44M at the box office
- Casey Kasem's kids think wife has boyfriend in Montreal; may have dad's body there on ice
- Joan Rivers slams Selena Gomez for ?Pray for Gaza' post
- A Potential Cure on True Blood, A Family Sacrifice on Witches of East End & More OMG TV Moments
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Star Brandi Glanville Launching New Wine, Wants Your Input
- Botched Before and After: Breast Cancer Survivor, Boob Implant Headache and Much More—See the Pics!