Posts with tag "wyclef jean"
- Posted Mar 28th 2011 at 03:45 PM by Kiki Von Glinow
If being shot is what it takes to bring attention to the current elections in Haiti, then Wyclef Jean is willing to take a bullet. Although he hoped his name would be on Haiti's presidential election ballot (he was disqualified last year due to residency statutes), the Haitian-born hip-hop artist was instead grazed by a bullet when his vehicle came under fire in a city east of Port-au-Prince...
- Posted Mar 20th 2011 at 09:41 AM by Christine Fenno
The night before presidential elections in Haiti, Fugees co-founder Wyclef Jean, 41, was treated and released from a hospital for a gunshot wound to the hand, according to his spokesperson. Jean was running for president last year, amid controversy, until Haiti's board of elections disqualified him. Jean's brother, Samuel, confirmed the shooting. Joe Mignon, an officer with Jean's Yele...
- Posted Sep 27th 2010 at 01:15 PM by PopEater Staff
After failing in his bid to run for president of Haiti, Wyclef Jean was hospitalized last night in New Jersey due to fatigue, according to the music legend's Twitter account. A source close to Jean revealed to Billboard that the singer-producer has been dealing with headaches for weeks. "He has been following a very heavy schedule that has taken him to Europe twice, Asia and Africa, at the...
- Posted Sep 21st 2010 at 06:30 PM by PopEater Staff
So much for Wyclef Jean's political dreams. The Associated Press reports the songwriter is giving up on Haitian politics to pursue a new album after getting nudged off the ballot by the Caribbean provisional electoral council last month. The council didn't give a reason why Jean didn't make the final cut on the ballot, but some guess it had to do with Haiti's constitutional requirement that...
- Posted Sep 7th 2010 at 08:17 AM by PopEater Staff
Wyclef Jean responded to Sean Penn's public doubts of his Haitian presidential campaign at a concert over the weekend, alleging Penn was "too busy sniffing cocaine" to notice Jean's presence in Haiti after an earthquake devastated the nation in January. The colossal jab came at a Hot 97 concert this weekend, where Wyclef changed the lyrics to his 2004 hit 'President,' singing: "I got a message...
- Posted Aug 23rd 2010 at 07:02 AM by PopEater / Wire Services
Hip-hop singer Wyclef Jean said Sunday he is not abandoning his presidential bid just yet and will try to get the courts to overturn a decision disqualifying him from the race. Speaking to The Associated Press by telephone from his home in Croix des Bouquets, Jean said his lawyers will file an appeal with the national electoral dispute office. Jean said that he has a document "which shows...
- Posted Aug 21st 2010 at 04:28 PM by PopEater Staff
The board of elections in Haiti has officially put an end to hip-hop star and activist Wyclef Jean's attempt to launch a presidential campaign in his homeland. Although the singer was born in Haiti and has been actively involved in disaster relief since the nation was devastated by an earthquake in January, authorities ruled that he does not qualify to be on the ballot. No reason was given, but...
- Posted Aug 18th 2010 at 10:41 AM by PopEater / Wire Services
Haiti's electoral commission said late Tuesday that it was postponing its ruling on who will be allowed to run for president in November elections, leaving hip-hop artist Wyclef Jean's candidacy in limbo. A statement from the commission, known as the CEP, said it would postpone the announcement until Friday. The delay was the latest turn in the fledgling presidential race in this...
- Posted Aug 14th 2010 at 10:06 AM by The Editors of Vulture
As Wyclef Jean's campaign for the Haitian presidency continues, his track record as a public advocate for his native country will be carefully scrutinized: Were the accounting and tax issues reported for his Yelé charity truly honest mistakes, as Jean claimed, or something more nefarious? Has his celebrity-philanthropist status been a boon or a hindrance to others working for Haiti? Does he...
- Posted Aug 7th 2010 at 09:19 AM by PopEater / Wire Services
Wyclef Jean's presidential bid in Haiti is receiving criticism from his childhood friend and fellow Fugees bandmate, Pras. The Haitian-born musician says he will not back Jean because he lacks experience and a definitive plan to bring the island nation into the 21st century. "You've got 1.2 million people living in tent city right now. What are the plans to get these people out," Pras said of...
Popeater Hot Topics
- The Voice's Top 10 Is Revealed in Dramatic - and Confusing - Fashion
- Get the Look: Whitney Port's Pretty Dinner Table
- The Wahlberg Family's Boston Marathon Photo Diary
- Editor says Gabriel Garcia Marquez left unpublished manuscript
- Letterman welcomes successor Colbert for first time since announcing retirement
- Christian band MercyMe opens up about abuse, God and new album
- ?Supernatural' recap: Killing things that need killing
- ?Agents of SHIELD' react: A little night music
- ?Mindy Project' recap: An officer and a gynecologist
- Teen Mom 2's Kailyn Lowry Talks Living in a Homeless Shelter: "I Didn't Want My Son to Be Taken Away From Me"
- Glee's Touching Tribute to Cory Monteith, Death and Deception on Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. and More OMG TV Moments!
- Chef Candice Kumai's Favorite Healthy Juice & Smoothie Recipes for Earth Day